Monday, May 23, 2011

Sitting here watching God's version of fireworks

As it turns out there is wifi here at the resort, so I didn't need to blog in a panic after all. As I type this blog I am watching God's version of fireworks. Every few seconds the sky lights up, illuminating the bay with bursts of brilliant white and purple. As it is everywhere in the Philippines this time of year it is hot here. I feel like a snow man melting in the heat at times, and then I am rescued by a gentle breeze. Then, the sound of rain as it plays its song on the leaves of the trees and the rooftops of the picnic shelters. It's a wonder to me that anyone can experience these moments and fail to see the splendor of our Father in it.
Today was a day of travelling as we made our way to camp (or as Marlies said earlier today, Alan's version of it). We left Manila on Philipino time today which means we were supposed to leave at eight, but actually left at 9:30. As we were leaving the city the evidence of poverty was all about us. Squatters set up their makeshift homes wherever there is space or wherever landowners turn a blind eye. Where a river once ran, evidenced by the concrete structures of causeways and spillways, the poor harvest the lilly pad stalks and dry them by the roadside to be used for making baskets and shoes as they try to etch out a living in the heat of midday. It's a jumbled compilation of people and places devoid of any sort of city planning committee's influence.
To alleviate the overstimulation of the senses I read for a while only to lift my gaze upon what seems to be a totally different Philippine experience. As we enter the resort area all of a sudden the roads are clean, less congested, and the makeshift homes have disappeared from view. It was a weird experience as I fully expected to see what I already knew to be the Philippines, but instead saw a tourist destination. I had the odd sensation that this was an artificial representation of some kind. People who come to these places don't have to see the faces that make up most of the Philippines: the poor. It's not that the Philippines don't have their wealthy here, they certainly do. But unlike home, there is little semblance of a middle class so the wealthy are few in comparison to the many poor here.
At first I struggled to be here, but when I saw the faces of the youth, for whom this is really meant to bless, I quickly changed my perspective. For many of them the air conditioned bus ride alone is an event they haven't had, never mind a trip to a resort. I suppose perspective is important to consider on occasions like this. So, I am grateful to be here. Grateful to have small role I have been privileged with to bless these youth. And the Father blesses me with his version of fireworks on the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment